A sweatshirt is basically a collarless, long-sleeved oversized pullover worn during the winter days. They are usually worn by athletics. It can be worn by both male and female of all ages. They can be worn over blouse, shirt, t-shirts or even next to skin. The sweatshirts can be made of any synthetic fiber, cotton or combination of both. The irritation that is generally felt when sweater is worn next to skin can be avoided here.
Types of sweatshirts
Sweatshirts are generally available in several styles and fabrics. The classifications can be done according to the sleeve length. Few common types are discussed below.
- Sleeveless sweatshirts: These sweatshirts generally have heavy fabrics. Though they do not cover the full shoulder but they are quite comfortable in mild cold days. They are available in a wide range of colors and designs, may or may not have a hoodie or a front zip.
- Short sleeve sweatshirts: Here the sleeves are generally up to the upper arm and are comfortable in winter days. Though it doesn’t look good with full sleeved tops it looks much better with tank tops. Generally, they have hoodies and front zip which makes it easier to adjust with the temperature.
- Long sleeve sweatshirts: They are the most common and widely available. The long sleeved ones can be casual wear as well as can have collars giving the wearer a corporate look. Here the sleeves extend up to wrist and usually have cuffs near the wrist which allows the sleeves to remain tight.
The comfort level of the sweatshirt depends on the type of fabrics used. The breathability and softness are the main factors on which the comfort level depends. The common fabrics that are generally used are explained below.
- Cotton: It is the most common fabric used in sweatshirts. Cotton is usually quite lightweight. In sweatshirts cotton is used inside to give a soft feel to the wearer. Cotton is used in fine knit which is usually called nap.
- Synthetic fibers: They are generally used by athletics, since it helps to regulate the temperature of the body. They are not as comfortable as the cotton ones but they are cheaper.
- Terry: They are combination of the cotton and synthetic ones. The fabric is similar to the fabric of the towels. They are absorbent like the towels and are very comfortable for both the athletics as well as casual wearers.